Who am I?
With over 18 years of experience as a licensed clinical psychologist and a patient-centered outcomes researcher, I have dedicated my career to putting patients at the center of their health care. I have led and collaborated on multiple projects that aimed to measure and improve the quality and outcomes of care from the patients' perspective, across a number of clinical settings and populations.
Since April 2021, I have been applying my expertise and passion as the Director of Clinical Content at Phreesia, a health care technology company that provides innovative solutions to enhance the patient experience and optimize care delivery. In this role, I serve as the resident expert in clinical quality initiatives that involve patient-reported outcomes (PROs) and advise clients on how to leverage Phreesia technology to implement screening tools and PROs, improve health outcomes, and meet quality goals. I also develop programs and services that help our providers succeed in payer and government programs while delivering exceptional patient care.
What am I doing?
Some of my achievements include increasing the number and variety of PROs and screening tools in our library, growing the number of clients using our PRO solutions, streamlining our custom PRO builds, extending the endorsement of one of our PRO-based performance measures by the National Quality Forum, and expanding the consideration of the PRO-PM for two CMS quality programs. My ultimate goal remains the same: to champion the voice of the patient by developing practical, scalable solutions to gathering and using this information to improve health care.
What else am I doing?
- Earlier this year, I was recognized with the Association of Psychologists in Academic Health Centers' Outstanding Mid-Career Psychologists Contributions Award.
- I was recently elected to serve on the American Psychological Association (APA) Board of Professional Affairs, where I serve as liaison to both the Board of Scientific Affairs and the Measurement Based Care Professional Practice Guidelines Workgroup.
- I've also been elected to represent the Society for Health Psychology on the Council of Representatives of the APA.
- I've been appointed to a Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Technical Expert Panel to provide input on the Quality Measure Development Plan and the Quality Measure Index, and
- I was named to serve on the National Quality Forum Meaure Application Partnership (MAP) Clinician Workgroup (recently sunset) and have been appointed to serve on the Partnership for Quality Meaurement's Pre-Rulemaking Measure Review (PRMR) Clinician Committee, representing the American Psychological Association.
What have I done?
Grantsmanship, Revenue Generation, and Consultation
- Had been continuously funded as a Principal Investigator and/or Co-Investigator through grants and contracts from the Department of Defense (DOD), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), National Institutes of Health (NIH), Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) and industry partners; focus of these efforts have been on the development and application of patient-reported outcomes, with an eye towards improved care quality.
- Across multiple roles, provided consultation for our medical and surgical faculty interested in securing funding of high quality patient-centered research.
- Sought out as a subject matter expert by multiple pharmaceutical companies, Optum Health, Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute, and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality for paid consultation.
Dissemination and Communication
- Authored over 100 peer-reviewed psychological, medical and surgical journals, which according to Google Scholar, have been cited over 7000 times.
- Delivered nearly 150 presentations based on this research at local, regional, national, and international venues, including recent invited talks in China, Poland, South Korea, and Tanzania.
- Serve as associate editor for major journal of psychological assessment and on the editorial board for three other scientific journals; have provided ad hoc reviews for over 40 major high-impact journals covering psychology, medicine, and surgery.
Education and Training
- Directed graduate level courses in public health and integrated health sciences.
- Served as clinical supervisor for clinical psychology graduate students.
- Provided research mentorship for medical students, postdoctoral fellows, and faculty.
- Recognized as an “Outstanding Teacher” twice by Northwestern’s medical school.
- Invited to serve as faculty at international conferences, but also at notable national venues including the prestigious National Institutes of Health Summer Training Institute on Randomized Clinical Trials and the American Psychological Association Emerging Leaders in Psychology Academy.
- Provided psychosocial assessment and treatment for solid organ transplant candidates, living donor candidates, and their families at one of the largest volume transplant centers in the United States.
- Based on recognized expertise, have presented nearly 100 local and national presentations (in addition to those noted above) on the work of the behavioral health professional in general and specialized care settings.
- Invited to contribute to several clinical practice guidelines and best practices documents to provide expertise on psychological assessment and care of patients with end-stage organ disease.
Leadership and Professional Service
- Elected to numerous national professional service roles including President of the Association of Psychologists in Academic Health Centers, as well as the Society for Health Psychology.
- Chaired and/or served on multiple committees with the American Psychological Association and the American Society for Transplantation focused on value-based care, advocacy, and promotion of behavioral health.
- Received a Presidential Citation for Service Excellence from the Society for Health Psychology.
- Awarded American Psychological Association Presidential Citation.
- Recognized with the 2023 Outstanding Mid-Career Psychologist Award by the Association of Psychologists in Academic Medical Centers
CV - Zeeshan Butt, PhD (July 2023)
You can download my full CV for more information on my background and activities.